Rules For Interacting With The Alfar
December 31st is the Icelandic holiday where people celebrate alfar migration. This is the day where the hidden folk abandon their homes and go in search for new residence. Allegedly if you spend the night near any random crossroad you can catch the alfar in the act. One tradition is to leave out lighted candles to help those in search of new homes.
If you decide to go in search of the hidden folk, take heed, as they can be unfriendly if disrespected, upset, or distressed. Here are some simple guidelines when interacting with the Alfar. Please note that the Scandinavian alfar have very different temperaments from their distant cousins of the United Kingdom.
- Do not refuse food, gifts, or other favors offered to you by the Alfar. Accept the gift even if it looks worthless. It could hold vast powers or magic.
- In most cases do not accept drinks from Trolls or otherworldly wights, as the drink may be too strong for human consumption. Your mind may become warped or send you into a never ending craze/madness.
- If an alfar asks you for a favor do it without hesitation. Be wholehearted even if the timing of the request seems awkward or inconvenient to you.
- Don’t expect to receive favors or gifts by repeating what someone else has done. Alfar dislike greed and dishonesty. Bad things will come to you.
- Do not brag or boast about favors and gifts given to you by the Alfar. They don’t like that.
Gundarsson, K. (2007). Elves, Wights, and Trolls. Bloomington, IN : iUniverse.